Quite a number of people have lost faith in God due to a loss of a loved one or of a grand dream. Do you know one of them? Are you one of them? Pastor Jim’s message talked about that this Sunday. You can catch the message online by looking for his April 29 message on the Sermon Online section of our website. Below is the discussion guide for our Life Groups this week.
I’d be a Christian If… I Could Make Sense of My Loss
I’d Be A Christian If…Sermon Series Part 3
Sunday April 29th 2012 – Pastor Jim Tune
April 30th to May 6th, 2012
But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.
1 Thessalonians 4:13
COME & belong
ICE BREAKER – Share something you enjoy doing and then ask one question to the person in front of you to know the person more. Do this in a clock-wise round.
THRIVE & become more like Jesus
1) Up to the level that you are comfortable, share a deep loss that you have encountered in your life. How long did it take you to recover from it?
2) Pastor Jim shared things that society says about grieving- bury your feelings, replace your losses, grieve alone, time will heal, live with regret, never trust again. Which of these things worked for you then? Were the steps really that effective?
3) Pastor Jim also shared that the Bible provides some wisdom about grieving- feel your feelings, review your loss, grieve in community, the Holy Spirit will heal, express your regrets and trust in Christ. Which of these wise advises have you practiced before? Which of these is/are new to you?
4) Read and discuss 1 Thessalonians 4:13 and Galatians 6:2. Consider the context of these passages. What are the passages saying?
GO & serve like Jesus through prayer & Action
Accountability Point – As a group, determine what act of service as a group you will be undertaking for the 3rd semester.
In your individual capacity, think of someone who is grieving that you can help and encourage. Commit to do so in the next couple of months.
PRAYER POINT – The team serving in Belarus for 2 weeks
- PAD & ONLINE GIVING now available- refer to the Giving Booklet for more info.