LG Discussion Points May 13th 2012 3.4 (editing enabled copy)
“There is no assignment on earth that requires the array of skills and understanding needed by a mom in fulfilling her everyday duties. She must be a resident psychologist, physician, theologian, educator, nurse, chef, taxi driver, fire marshal and an occasional police officer.”
James Dobson, Focus on the Family
A Happy Mother’s Day to all Moms. This week let’s talk about how a mother’s love is a reflection of God’s own love for us.
A Reflection of God’s Love…
Sunday May 13th 2012 – Robbie Sevilla
May 14th to May 20th, 2012
Honour your father and mother. This is the first commandment with a promise: If you honour your father and mother, “things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth.” Ephesians 6:2-3
COME & belong
ICE BREAKER – Share your best “Mom-Moment”
1) Robbie shared the story of Katie and Jaime and the strength that a mother’s love can provide a dying child. As we too strive to be a reflection of God’s love, how can you be God’s hands and feet extended to those around you?
2) As we recognize a Mother’s love as a reflection of God’s love, 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 provides great insight into key attributes of God’s love…
- Love is patient
- Love is Kind
- Love is not jealous
- Not boastful
- Not proud
- Not rude
- It does not demand its own way
- It is not irritable
- It keeps no record of being wronged
- It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
- Love never gives up,
- Love never loses faith,
- Love is always hopeful,
- Endures through every circumstance
- Love will last forever
As we are also becoming a reflection of God’s Love, what areas in the list above catch your attention that you need to nurture and develop?
THRIVE & become more like Jesus
3) Read and discuss Psalm 139: 13-16. We recognize that one of a Mother’s many roles was birthing us into the world and then raising us, as special as God created us. Who do we consciously need to surround ourselves with to continue to be nurtured and raised us according to the purposeful way that God fearfully and wonderfully made us?
4) Robbie described three ways that we can receive and respond to our mother’s love…
a. We can MANIPULATE it.
b. We can IGNORE it.
c. We can HONOUR it.
He then shared that we at times, have the capacity to treat God’s love in the same manner. Consider patterns in your walk with God that this needs to grow from manipulation and ignorance to honouring your relationship with God?
GO & serve like Jesus through prayer & Action
Accountability Point – Check with your group if as individuals, they have volunteered/registered already in any of the Summer Days of Service events. If no one has registered yet, talk as a group and discuss the possibility of serving as a Life Group in one of the activities that will be offered in the Summer Days of Service.
PRAYER POINT – The CMCC team in Belarus